Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mountain Moving...

I just got off the phone with a Pastor friend of mine. Today’s topic of conversation was about moving the mountains in our life. No we didn’t speak about the gigantic obstacles of world hunger or economic turmoil. We talked of the everyday challenges that everyday people experience - the ones that pop up when your day is progressing in an effortless manner. Things like the annoying flat tire on your way to work, the torrential rainfall on the weekend of your family camping trip or the endless waiting period to get an answer on a job or home purchase.

Yesterday, a mountain presented itself in the middle of my preplanned agenda. After numerous visits to a variety of doctors, yesterday was the day that my ailing knee would be repaired. I was energized with the thought that I would find relief of pain after one year and get on with my life. Needless to say, this new doctor realized that the procedure we were about to do, was not the best course of action for my condition. Once again, MY plan was aborted and I was forced to switch gears. All the way home, I whined, complained and yelled at God. My pity party was complete when I grumbled with disgust that I always have to scratch and claw to get everything in life but for others, things come very easily.

Have you ever been walking down the street and see someone acting irrational? You say to yourself, “They are making such a fool of themselves”, only to look back on your own behavior and realize your foolishness just the prior day?

Yesterday I was completely convinced that I had a right to vent about my circumstance. Then today a dear friend, shares Mark 11:23 “Whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed…” and my foolishness became clear. I was trying to move the mountain on my own.

The truth is, there will always be a mountain, sometime big sometimes small. From experience, I know there also will be someone there to help you move it. It is natural to react in a foolish way when the mountain presents itself. However, it's much more helpful to listen to the people in your life that have been placed near you to help you through.

What is your mountain? Is it new or has it been there awhile? Do you have more than one? Trust that God has a plan and has put people in your life to help you get the mountain out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment