Friday, June 26, 2009

Connecting Face-to-Face and Heart-to-Heart...


After months of not seeing each other, a good friend and I met recently for coffee. Our lives travel slightly different roads right now, but there remains a firm foundation in which our values, interests and families are similar. Because of the long absence, there were many updates for each of us to share. However, I was astonished to see that three hours disappeared in a flash. While driving home that afternoon alone with my thoughts in my minivan, I reflected on the special time I just had with my friend. My spirits were lifted, I felt calmer and more at peace. A new energy was present. I was refreshed and ready to get back to my life.

We seem to get so lost in our daily routine and before we know it, days, weeks and months have disappeared. Our first instinct is to throw out a quick email or text to ‘check-in’ with our friend…when deep inside, what we really desire is to laugh, share and connect face to face and heart to heart.

Now you are probably, thinking how can I fit it in? Have you seen my schedule? One thing that might help you get started making more connections, is to make an appointment. Schedule your connection time with your friends just like you would to see the doctor, dentist or go on a vacation. There are a couple of ways I plan my connection time. One group of my friends gets together the last Tuesday of every month. We call it Mom’s Night Out. Husbands and children are not allowed. There are times that some are not able to make it so they just plan for the next month. Additionally, my family knows in advance that I’m unavailable that night because it is on the calendar. Another friend and I meet on the 13th of the month, no matter what day of the week it is. Again, it’s on the calendar.

Putting a priority on maintaining relationship with your friends and family is just as vital as success in business place. A blend of the two areas can create a happier, healthier you. Believe me…YOU are worth it! Flip the Switch and reconnect with someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment