Friday, March 26, 2010

Simple Things that Make You Smile (Part II)...

Last November, one of my blogs (http://bit.ly/bHSK9U) challenged you to list some simple things in life that put a smile on your face. I gave several examples of my own to help others stimulate thoughts of happiness in their life.

As the month of March comes to a close, I recognize that it was a time filled with great emotions on both sides of the spectrum – from sheer elation and exhilaration all the way to hurt, fear and frustration with many other emotions in between. I’ve dealt with challenges out of my control, like my luggage taking a holiday across the United States while I spent a holiday in Australia. (I’ll write about that experience some day later) I’ve received news from dear friends about personal health challenges they were facing and others who watched their closest loved ones fight a hard fought battle. Most recently, our neighborhood learned of a pedophile living nearby who committed yet another offense. Finally, without fail, all I have to do is turn on the television and watch the news, if I want to listen to heated arguments where two opposing groups of people verbally bash each other because the hurt and fear inside has erupted.

With all that pain, hurt and sorrow, how can anyone find a reason to smile? In a moment of reflection, I immediately thought of a favorite saying:

“It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do before it, during it and after it.”

Today I choose to dance in the rain. Today I choose to accept that this world is not perfect and free from hurt…and neither am I. Today I choose to find the things in life that make me smile, no matter how big or small they are. Today I encourage you to choose the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment